Visually Enhanced Public LinkedIn Profile
Temporary Works Design Engineer | CAD Drafter | Civil Engineer
Temporary Works Engineer with 16+ years of experience in designing, drafting and inspecting temporary structures for diverse residential, commercial and infrastructure construction projects.
I worked for 10 years for one of the largest manufacturers and suppliers of formwork and scaffolding systems where I gained experience across all project phases. I prepared bills of quantities, provided conceptual sketches and was involved in contract negotiations at tender stage. Design and construction phases combined office and field activities. I produced detailed CAD drawings, design calculations sheets, method statements and material lists as well as inspected construction sites, provided solutions and was the go-to person on any contractors' technical issues. My achievements and commitment were rewarded with the promotion to the top regional technical role of a Manager, leading a design team operating for the southeastern Poland company branches.
Later I moved on to work for the UK based engineering consultancy, specialised in the field of Temporary Works design. I managed the Polish branch supporting the head office and when I decided to share my home between Poland and New Zealand, I worked as a Design Engineer providing designs for the UK located construction sites.
In 2019 I joined Doka UK as a Senior Designer with my main focus on providing formwork and falsework solutions for different sites on the Tideway London project. Recently I took over the leadership of the Civils and Infrastructure Design Team.
I have worked for three companies:
June 2019 - Present
Doka is an international producer and supplier of formwork used in all fields of the construction sector. It is a branch of the Umdasch Group AG based in Amstetten, Austria.
Doka UK has locations in Sittingbourne, Sheffield and Glasgow.
Company website: doka.com
Independent Design House Ltd / IDH Poland
May 2015 - May 2019
Independent Design House Ltd is the UK based engineering consultancy specialised in providing a full design service in almost all Temporary Works Design activities.IDH Poland functions as a design office to support the company UK operations.
Company website: idh-design.co.uk
ULMA Construction Polska S.A.
March 2005 - April 2015
ULMA Construction is an international company specialising in the development and distribution of formwork and scaffolding systems for construction.
ULMA Construction Polska S.A. operates in 12 locations in Poland and it is the 2nd biggest formwork supplier.
Company website: ulmaconstruction.com
Positions & Responsibilities
Design Team Lead (Civils and Infrastructure)
August 2021 - Present ● 5 months ● Sheffield, United Kingdom
I am a Designer first, a Design Team Lead second.
As a Designer, I design formwork solutions with concepts and calculations for new projects and continue working on my already started Tideway London schemes.
As a Design Lead, I work closely with my Team to provide support for our Business Development Manager for Civils and Infrastructure.
June 2019 - June 2021 ● 2 years 1 month ● Sheffield, United Kingdom
I worked on initial concepts, assembly and production drawings, and execution designs with material lists for different sites on the Tideway London project.
Tideway London sites I have worked on:
● Albert Embankment Foreshore: I designed all formwork and falsework solutions for the entire structures of Drop Shaft and Interception Chamber;
● Heathwall Pumping Station: I designed and rpovided formwork and falsework sequencing schemes for CSO Shaft at tender stage and continued working on the execution designs after Doka UK was awarded the contract;
● Chelsea Embankment Foreshore: I designed initial concepts;
● Hammersmith Pumping Station: I designed initial concepts.
Design Engineer (Contract Work)
May 2016 - May 2019 ● 3 years 1 month ● Krakow, Poland / Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
After the successful full-time employment period, I continue cooperation with Independent Design House Ltd as a Design Engineer, providing formwork/falsework solutions for varied UK projects.
Significant projects I have worked on:
● Creative Arts Building, Leeds Beckett University;
● The West Works, Southall, London;
● Gore Street Development, Salford, Manchester;
● The East Midlands Gateway;
● Circle Square, Manchester;
● Redclyffe Road, London;
● Blossom Iron, Manchester;
● Project Nexus, Leeds University;
● Neptune Wharf, London;
● Chapel Wharf, Manchester;
● Paradise Street, Coventry.
May 2015 - April 2016 ● 1 year ● Krakow, Poland
◦ Prepared detailed temporary structures AutoCAD drawings based on technical documentation, sketches and photos, utilising client owned/preferred equipment,
◦ Implemented the most economical and best technical solutions,
◦ Temporary structures designs included: wall formwork, slab support/falsework, access platforms, crash decks, rebar stability, cabin gantry, backpropping,
◦ Applied in the design schemes a varied range of proprietary systems of the industry leaders: SGB/Harsco, RMD Kwikform, DOKA, PERI, ACROW plus T&F scaffolding and traditional timber solutions,
◦ Produced design calculation sheets and design certificates for the approved designs,
◦ Prepared CAT III certificates - Independent Design Checking,
◦ Liaised with the UK based Project Managers/Engineers, Contractors and Temporary Works Coordinators.
Significant projects I worked on:
◦ Crossrail C350 - Pudding Mill Lane Portal, London;
◦ Riverside Studios Redevelopment, London;
◦ Greenbank Hall of Residence, Liverpool;
◦ A30 Temple to Higher Carblake Improvement;
◦ Clay Farm, Cambridge;
◦ Allerton Waste Recovery Park, North Yorkshire.
May 2015 - January 2016 ● 9 months ● Krakow, Poland
Recruited, supervised and mentored a small team of Draftsmen and Design Engineers in the Krakow Office, where I managed and prioritised the workload according to the competencies of Designers.
Temporary Works designs for more significant projects I have worked on:
Creative Arts Building, Leeds
Leeds Beckett University
Contractor: MPB Structures
Over 100 designs showing full plan layouts and detailed sections.
◦ PT and RC slabs falsework using SGB CUPLOK and/or DOKA STAXO systems,
◦ 2.5m deep RC beams supported with GASS towers,
◦ Stair core in-situ landings and RCC/in-situ stair flights support designed with SGB CUPLOK.
The West Works, Southall, London
Contractor: Addington Formwork Ltd
◦ RC slabs falsework designed with SGB GASS and DuAl beams plus GASS tables,
◦ PERI TRIO for wall formwork.
Gore Street Development, Manchester
Over 100 designs so far, all including full calculations
◦ RC slab soffit supports designed with SGB CUPLOK, DOKA STAXO, DOKA EUREX props and SGB GASS flying tables,
◦ Stair core landings and stair flights support,
◦ Wall formwork using SGB MKII and DuAl beams.
The East Midlands Gateway
◦ Abutments, retaining walls, diaphragm walls and wing walls designed with SGB MKII and DuAl beams,
◦ Access platforms and shoring designed with SGB CUPLOK.
Affinity Living, Circle Square
◦ Slab soffit supports designed with SGB CUPLOK and DOKA STAXO.
Redclyffe Road, London
Contractor: Corbyn Construction Ltd
◦ 50+ slab soffit supports designed with SGB GASS
Blossom Iron, Manchester
100+ designs including:
◦ Slab soffit supports using SGB CUPLOK and GASS flying tables,
◦ DOKA Shaft and K platforms,
◦ Stair core landings and stair flights support.
Nexus, Leeds University
Fish Island Village, Neptune Wharf
◦ Slab soffit supports designed with SGB GASS and SGB TOPEC.
Chapel Wharf, Manchester
◦ Slab soffit supports design with SGB CUPLOK.
Paradise Street, Coventry
Over 100 designs including:
◦ Slab falsework using DOKA STAXO, SGB CUPLOK, SGB GASS tables,
Crossrail C350 - Pudding Mill Lane Portal
◦ Timber/DuAL/Soldier walls shuttering,
◦ DuAL/GASS slabs support,
◦ Staircase supports,
◦ Access platforms.
A30 Temple to Higher Carblake Improvement
Contractor: D Wall Construction Services
◦ Abutment walls shuttering,
◦ Columns customised formwork,
◦ Rebar cages stability.
Riverside Studios Redevelopment
Produced nearly 100 designs from capping beam formwork to multi slab supports falsework solutions plus temporary access platforms schemes.
Prepared 100s of designs for a varied range of solutions using timber members, soldiers and proprietary wall formwork systems. Each design was calculated for optimal and safe concrete rate of rise.
Miscellaneous TW Designs #1
◦ Staircase flights and landings support,
◦ Customised shaft access platforms,
◦ Proprietary shaft platforms
◦ Conventional climbing solutions.
Miscellaneous TW Designs #2
◦ Slab supports using proprietary shoring props and towers,
◦ Shaft platforms,
◦ Void formers,
◦ Slabs openings protection decks.
Design Team Manager
April 2014 – April 2015 ● 1 year 1 month ● Southeastern Poland
In April 2014 the ULMA branch in Poland changed its company structure and my Design Office team was reduced to the 4-people Design Team, while the operations area stayed at the same size. In order to handle the unchanged amount of workload, I added preparing tender documents and formwork schemes for smaller projects to my regular managerial duties.
Design Office Manager
October 2012 – March 2014 ● 1 year 6 months ● Southeastern Poland
◦ Managed, coordinated and prioritised 55+ tender/design requests per month from 9-11 regional Sales Representatives, while adhering to strict deadlines,
◦ Supervised a team of 10-12 Assistants and Designers in three locations, dividing them into specialist groups to efficiently use their individual skills.
◦ Oversaw the quality and technical accuracy of work sent out from the Design Office,◦ Controlled the improvement in drawing output, amount of re-draws and number of errors,◦ Checked the competency of the Design Office staff to carry out their given duties and highlighted any shortcomings and areas for development,
◦ Carried out annual appraisals and reviews,
◦ Estimated initial renting costs regarding new projects for the Sales Department,
◦ Evaluated the new projects basing on technical and equipment availability risks,
◦ Monitored the accuracy of tender-stage rental prices during the execution of projects and advised the required redesigning,◦ Organized mid-tender interviews with potential customers,◦ Cooperated with Branch Managers to settle the designing priorities,◦ Participated in contract negotiations at the design consulting stage,◦ Represented the ULMA Technical Department during on-site meetings,
◦ Conducted job interviews,
◦ Controlled the ISO 9001 procedures,
◦ Reported to Design Offices Director.
Senior Assistant Formwork Designer
October 2010 – September 2012 ● 2 years ● Jaworzno, Poland
Over the next two years at ULMA I continued designing temporary structures for infrastructure projects and inspecting job sites in southern Poland.
◦ Managed, coordinated and prioritised design needs for 10+ concurrent structures at different stages of formwork/falsework implementation (abutments, piers, superstructures etc.),◦ Took on a leadership role over a part of the existing design team working with me either on preparing tenders or producing drawings for infrastructure projects.
Technologist / Assistant Formwork Designer
May 2008 – September 2010 ● 2 years 5 months ● Krakow / Jaworzno, Poland
The growing number of infrastructure projects in Poland gave me a chance to gain a new design experience and to focus on formwork and falsework solutions for bridge structures.I was also appointed to the new, more representative and mobile design role of the Technologist and I started working directly with clients on a larger scale.
◦ Successfully provided formwork/falsework design service and technical support for the first, bigger infrastructure project in Southeastern region (A4 Motorway, Section: Krakow-Szarow),
◦ Assigned by Superiors to lead the design and construction phases for major regional projects.
Infrastructure projects design stage activities:◦ Designed falsework/shoring structures for various bridge decks,◦ Prepared formwork CAD drawings for bridge abutments, piers and foundations,◦ Produced detailed material lists, design calculation sheets and specifications,◦ Coordinated material deliveries and reservations with the Logistics Department.Infrastructure projects tender stage activities:◦ Prepared tenders for multi-structured motorways sections,◦ Provided sketches of formwork and shoring solutions for bridge decks for all or characteristic structures of the particular motorway section,◦ Calculated formwork/falsework prices of bridge/viaduct concrete elements,
◦ Interacted with the Senior Designers in order to provide the most efficient design solutions,
◦ Coordinated the tender preparation process with the involved Assistants and Designers◦ Provided technical support for the Sales Representatives at the mid-tender interviews.
Key field duties:◦ Carried out the job site visits as required,◦ Identified any improper design implementations and provided solutions,◦ Conducted site inspections after formwork/shoring erection and signed the formal reports,◦ Represented company at the on-site client meetings,◦ Liaised with project engineers, project managers and customer Design Departments,◦ Mentored younger Assistants both in the office and on the construction sites.
Assistant Formwork Designer
March 2005 – April 2008 ● 3 years 2 months ● Katowice / Krakow, Poland
Back in 2005 the position of Assistant Formwork Designer, outside the headquarters, was introduced as a help for the company's Sales Representatives. I worked mostly on diverse range of residential, commercial and industrial projects.The increasing workload over the next three years started shaping the regional design teams and I became more involved in the infrastructure projects, preparing designs for bridge elements.
◦ Estimated unit prices for typical formwork/falsework solutions and collaborated in preparing first, automated schedule of quantities, which efficiently improved the process of preparing tender documentation.
◦ Provided effective design support for two Sales Teams in the region.
Design stage activities:◦ Prepared formwork and shoring drawings for various concrete structures,◦ Performed static analysis to ensure optimal design,◦ Produced detailed assembly/shop drawings for complex formwork elements,◦ Prepared material lists,◦ Assisted Sales Representatives at job sites visits.Tender stage activities:◦ Analysed structural drawings and specifications to prepare taking off lists,◦ Calculated prices for typical and non-typical formwork solutions,◦ Produced the tender documents: priced bills of quantities and technical information sheets regarding the implemented proprietary formwork systems.
ULMA Projects Portfolio
Photos and CAD designs of some more noteworthy construction sites in Poland.
Bridge MA-58 - CAD Design
Viaduct WD-71 - CAD Design
Precast T-beams bridges
Precast T-beams bridges - CAD Design
Contractor: Mostostal W-wa
Plate girder bridges - CAD Design
Passages for animals - CAD Design
Viaduct WD-18a - CAD Design
Viaduct WA-106 - CAD Design
Section: Tarnow Krzyz-Debica Pustynia
Contractor: Hydrobudowa Slask
Viaduct over triple-track railway
Viaduct over triple-track railway - CAD Design
Viaducts - CAD Design
Section: Skarzysko Kamienna-Wystepa
Ropczyce ring road
Contractor: Henczke Budownictwo
Ropczyce ring road - CAD Design
Viaduct WD-17 - CAD Design
Viaduct WA-21 - CAD Design
Shopping & Business Centre,
Contractors: Barzak, Budmax
Forum Shopping Centre
Sewage Treatment Plant
Supervisor of scaffolding construction and exploitation
Starting February 2013
Polish Economic Chamber of Scaffolding
Cracow University of Technology
BIM - Digital Technologies in Architecture and Building Industry
Master of Science (MEng), Civil Engineering
Majoring in Building and Engineering Constructions
Engineer (BEng), Civil Engineering
Specialization of General Engineering
+44 7444 219 480
+64 210 298 5015
Created with LinkedIn One-Click Personal Website.